Skip to main content

Best resource (book) for overview of the 40+ practices for Scaled Professional Scrum???

Last post 01:42 pm January 31, 2021 by Scott Anthony Keatinge
7 replies
04:44 pm September 17, 2017

I would value recommendations on the best resource (book) to get an overview of the 40+ practices for Scaled Professional Scrum?!

I have recently passed my PSM1, and I would now like to take the SPS1 exam.

I have a good understanding of the Nexus guide but would like to get a good/basic understanding of the practices related to SPS.

Based on initial research I think The Enterprise and Scrum (Ken Schwaber) looks like the best bet... but before I purchase, I would appreciate the advice of the community!

03:48 pm September 18, 2017

Hi Paul. I have recently been reading and learning more about Scaling Professional Scrum with the Nexus Framework. It is my belief the 40+ or 50+ practices are topics that are presented in Scrum.org's SPS Workshops / Courseware materials.

I did, however, find some of the information useful that Ian provided on this previous Forum thread here:  https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/6754/40-pratices-nexus-guide&nb…;

11:25 pm September 19, 2017

Hi Paul - When I was studying for my SPS I never came across a book or article that listed the 40 practices, although I have seen it mentioned.  I would assume it comes from the courseware, as mentioned by Lord. The book you mentioned is 10 years old, and came out years before Nexus.  I doubt it has the list you are looking for.

Having said that, I have some scaling experience, knowledge of scaling patterns, and studied the Nexus guide and read the articles.  The exam is harder that the PSM I, but you don't need to have the list of 40 practices to pass it.  I assume many of those practices are embedded in the guide.

Wishing you all the best with your SPS.

11:56 am September 21, 2017

Here is an upcoming book. It should contain more information around complementary practices for Nexus.

Nexus Framework for Scaling Scrum, The: Continuously Delivering an Integrated Product with Multiple Scrum Teams

by

Kurt Bittner, Patricia Kong, Dave West

-- Bhuvan.

04:37 pm September 21, 2017

Looks like a quality book - can't wait to read it.

Thanks

04:53 pm September 21, 2017

There are a good deal of resources and whitepapers available here, too: https://www.scrum.org/resources/scaling-scrum

08:50 pm November 9, 2018

For anyone looking for the full list, it can be found here:

https://www.scrum.org/scaled-professional-scrum-nexus-practices 

many of the practices are linked to additional resources such as case studies or forum discussions. 

01:42 pm January 31, 2021

The link Hanna provided currently has 42 practices. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.