Skip to main content

Team training options

Last post 04:26 pm August 28, 2018 by Simon Mayer
5 replies
06:01 pm August 27, 2018

Curious to know if anyone had any suggestions for an informative/training video that I can share with my team, to gain their participation in transitioning to a Scrum team?

I work in a GIS Team within an Architecture and Engineering firm as a GIS Programmer and What I’m trying to do is motivate my team to make the change along with gain permission to attend trainings and become a certified Scrum Master. To achieve this, I need to educate my team on what Scrum is and why it is beneficial, within a one hour or so training session. I have some knowledge of Scrum through various books and websites, however, the validity of my opinion, I feel, will be viewed as bias and may not be held as equal to the thoughts and ideas of others.

Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

07:06 pm August 27, 2018

Have you had any conversations with your team already, about why you think Scrum is helpful? If so, what kind of response did you get?

07:17 pm August 27, 2018

Inquire about what issues/pain points your team is currently experiencing.   (Note: If they claim that everything is fine, they're simply not being honest).

You should then be able to point to Scrum ceremonies and practices to show how they can address and/or mitigate their issues.

In my opinion, meeting the team where they are, and showing them alternative ways of working that may make their lives better, is a more effective approach than subjecting the team to presentations on Scrum and how great it is.

11:13 am August 28, 2018

To answer all your questions;

Simon Mayer – Yes, I have spoken to each member of the team and everyone is optimistic. Some more so than others but only because they know about Scrum. The only obstacle im facing, is the members of the team who have never heard of Scrum before and are unsure of how exactly it will help. They do however agree that help is needed in various areas of our day to day operation.

Timothy Baffa – every member of the team can agree to some extent that we could use some improvement/refining. It’s because of these issues that I’m suggesting we adopt Scum concepts. I like where your going with hands-on approach rather than the video/training, however, the training/video is only being used to inform team members of what Scrum is and show that im not just making things up. it was also requested by the manager.  

Ian Mitchell – on the surface this looks just like what I’m looking for. I’ll take a look at it. Thank you  

04:26 pm August 28, 2018

William, if you haven't already done so, I suggest reading the Scrum Guide before discussing Scrum with the team: https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html

I don't think you need to memorise the fine details yet, such as the maximum lengths of events, but there are certain sections I would encourage you to read multiple times, in order to get a feel for what Scrum is about.

In my opinion, the Definition of Scrum, Scrum Theory, Scrum Values, and End Note sections particularly help in understanding the "why" of Scrum.

I would also encourage you to ask more questions on here, if you struggle to understand bits of the Scrum Guide (or the reasons it has been written in such a way). This would potentially be good preparation for the conversations you will have with your team.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.