Skip to main content

Out of Curiosity - Career Path that Lead You to Scrum Master?

Last post 04:34 pm September 19, 2018 by Curtis Slough
2 replies
12:00 am September 16, 2018

Hello,

I'm just curious about what the past careers of scrum masters looked like. What was your college major? Do you come from a technical background? What made you decide to make the leap to scrum master? Would you say there's anything specific in your working background that has helped or hindered your scrum mastering capabilities? Thanks.

12:51 pm September 18, 2018

Hi Grant,

I majored in Computer Sciences-> IT Management. I went on to work as PMO, with the idea to become Project Manager. To be very honest, at that point I was in it for all the wrong reasons. Project Manager sounded cool, made a lot of money, and that was pretty much my biggest motivation. I also took a Scrum Master class and obtained PSM I, which made me familiar with the framework. A little while later I had burn-out and started seeing both a psychologist and a burn-out coach to figure out what really energizes me, what I really wanted to do. It was clear that the work I was doing and why was not sustainable. Long story short, I love to work with people and see them flourish, to help them overcome their fears in both work as private life and help them become happier in general. That, together for my passion for IT, became the door towards becoming a fulltime Scrum Master. It has been quite a while, but I never regretted it since. Scrum literally changed my life.

04:34 pm September 19, 2018

I am a bit unorthodox in that my major was Business Management. My first exposure to Scrum was during my time training users on software my employer developed. Then I went into a QA role and was implementing scrum during that time. Now I'm an Enterprise Agile Coach helping a company through Agile Adoption.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.