Skip to main content

Scrum Master Trends: What was your job title before becoming a Scrum Master or Agile Coach? ("Line Manager" is missing...)

Last post 10:15 am February 21, 2019 by Eugene M
6 replies
02:19 pm February 18, 2019

Hi Forum,

I found the "Scrum Master Trends" report very interesting. I was looking at the "What was your job title before becoming a Scrum Master or Agile Coach?" question specifically, as during agile transition, the question of "who should become a SM?" is very popular. 

I always answer that the best person to become a SM is the person with the motivation to become one, and one with the right skill-set and personal characteristics for the role . Still, it is interesting to see the trends. I was surprised to see that Line-Manager is not part of the answers. Although I discourage line-managers to become SMs, I see this trend in Israel. 

Maybe the "Line Manager" is part of the "Other" category? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Erez

01:59 pm February 19, 2019

Line Managers don't exist as individual roles. If the Scrum Master reports to the Product Manager, then the Product Manager is the Scrum Master's Line Manager.

04:29 pm February 19, 2019

Based on the Line Managers I know, very few of them have the attitude to become a Scrum Master.  However, I have known a few that could do it. In fact I was a QA Manager prior to becoming Scrum Master which is a version of Line Manager at my current employer.  I honestly don't think that previous titles are that relevant.  I think previous behaviors are the most important thing.  Did you exhibit servant-leadership, empirical decision making, promote self-organization?  Those are much more important that what title you had.  It is an interesting data point but that is about I see it as. 

I was more interested to see that the PSM I certification is more prevalent than the CSM since most job postings you see are wanting the CSM certification.  How do we get employers to understand, appreciate and seek the PSM? 

05:53 am February 20, 2019

I honestly don't think that previous titles are that relevant. 

@Daniel Wilhite, I agree with your statements - I seek for behaviors. Still, it was strange to see the line manager is not popular to become SM, as the trend is different in Israel. I don't like line managers to become SMs because they usually don't qualify to that role from behavioral perspective. I think some companies just find it as an easy path - calling the team leaders "Scrum Masters" and then say "we are agile". 

How do we get employers to understand, appreciate and seek the PSM?

For the PSM one, I can tell you that as being member of the "agile transformation core team" in my company, my recommendation was to go with PSM I (rather then CSM) world wide, and this is what we are doing - so my company is going to bring up the statistics in favor of PSM I in the coming months :). I have 16 certifications in various agile methods and I find PSM to be the most recommended one as a starting point. My only concern is that it is difficult certification to acheive. I'm not a certified trainer, but I have trained the agile core team in Israel, and I have now 7 people with are PSM I certified (70% passed the first attempt, 30% passed the second attempt). I'm working with India right now and I'm waiting to see how it goes there. It is challenging especially to non-English speakers (this is why one of my instructions for the exam is having Google Translate open). 

07:58 am February 20, 2019

I was more interested to see that the PSM I certification is more prevalent than the CSM since most job postings you see are wanting the CSM certification.  How do we get employers to understand, appreciate and seek the PSM? 

I had the same thing. The thought that popped into mind was that in my experience, recruiters are usually less experienced or knowledgeable (is that a word?) about PSM/Agile in general and take over what other job sites are saying. So it becomes an oilstain. It's a bit like SAFe, I guess. Although I have nothing against SAFe and think it is a great framework if applied correctly (and I even teach the courses, too!), too many organizations stare blindly on the buzzwords of either Scrum or SAFe and pay little attention to other frameworks. 

OT: I was a PMO with PSM I and PSPO I before I had a burnout. During my burnout I went into the traject of speaking with psychologist, burnout coach, field coach, company docter etc etc. I was brutally confronted with myself never even thinking about where I get my energy from, what I really enjoy to do, and was just focussed on become Project Manager as soon as possible because in my mind that job made a lot of money and that was very important to me. Of course having burnout, made me realize this is in no way sustainable or very respectful to myself or to my family. So we dug a little deeper and found out that I enjoy developing people, that I enjoy IT, that I enjoy the psychological part of working with people and see them flourish. That was a very long story (about 6 months) in a nutshell and it took a looooot more than that, but that's what it boils down to. I learned a lot about myself and in that view I can recommend a burnout to everyone. But please don't and just think and be aware of what drives you.

TLDR: My previous job title was PMO. 

04:05 pm February 20, 2019

My only concern is that it is difficult certification to acheive.

This is part of the reason I value it so much. PSM tests your actual knowledge instead of the ability to attend a course and replay the information you were just given.  I also feel like that might be the reason more of the actual professionals have chosen to achieve it. 

10:15 am February 21, 2019

Reading the above I realize I've made a mistake, as I've misinterpeted your question, Erez. Apologies.

I think some companies just find it as an easy path - calling the team leaders "Scrum Masters" and then say "we are agile". 

Some? :) More like lots if you ask me

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.