Skip to main content

PSM2 Preparation for a non-Scrum Master experience

Last post 08:39 am May 15, 2019 by Vikas Mehrotra
5 replies
10:07 am May 9, 2019

Dear Scrum Gurus,

I need guidance for the preparation of PSM2. Your help is highly appreciated. 

Background - I have >14 years of experience as IT professional, and have been part of Scrum teams (mostly as QA) since 2009. Currently I am managing multiple projects as a service provider, again as QA Manager. I realized that my job is more that of a facilitator and guide than a manager, from QA perspective. All teams that report to me are part of scrum teams. 

I cleared PSM1 with 95% few months ago and after that I was interested in being an Agile Coach. I started reading books vehemently on related topics. Following are few of the books read:

The Nexus Framework for Scaling Scrum - 2x - will repeat.

Scrum: A Smart Travel Companion - 2x - will repeat.

Scrum Insights for Practitioners: The Scrum Guide Companion 

Scrum Mastery: From Good to Great Servant Leadership

The Great ScrumMaster: #ScrumMasterWay

Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation

Currently I am reading:

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable

Coaching Agile Teams

The Professional Product Owner: Leveraging Scrum as a Competitive Advantage

In line to read:

Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness 

Creativity Inc. by Ed Catmull

User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development by Mike Cohn

Product Mastery: From Good to Great Product Ownership by Jeff Sutherland

The DevOPS Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations by Gene Kim

Most of the books are part of suggested readings for PSM2 or PAL1. 

I know that given my conditions, I cannot land up in a Scrum Master's role. Please advise how to go forward for PSM2? Should I clear PSPO1 first? Is there any other pathway for becoming an Agile Coach?

Many thanks,

V.

07:23 am May 10, 2019

I know that given my conditions, I cannot land up in a Scrum Master's role.

Why do you recon this? 

I was interested in being an Agile Coach

What, in your perspective, is the difference between a Scrum Master and an Agile Coach?

The problem that I have with the term Agile Coach is that it suggests that you know a lot about a lot of different Agile methods and frameworks. In practice, that really, really, really rarely happens. Being a Scrum Master is an Agile coach, too. Part of it, anyway. You coach the team, the PO, the stakeholders, the organization. Just like an Agile coach. To be honest, I wear the job title of Scrum Master/Agile Coach because of company policy, but I constantly have a raised eyebrow over the latter part of the title.. It's overcomplicating things. 

10:17 am May 10, 2019

Excellent points, Sandur

08:59 am May 13, 2019

Thanks for the reply @Sander Dur and @Eugene M.

"I know that given my conditions, I cannot land up in a Scrum Master's role." - I work for services company, not a product company, hence most of the roles are client driven. Roles seldom change in such matters.

"I was interested in being an Agile Coach" - the biggest reason being that I have been stuck with same kind of roles since start of my career. And since Agile is technology agnostic (in the sense that it is more focused on process side of business value), that's why i felt this could be relatively easier, since I cannot take up any technology ans start excelling in that. Also, Agile roles (Scrum roles - Dev team) are what I am comfortable since, since i have been part of dev teams. The reason may look a bit absurd, but may be I am just exploring this arena for clarity.

I understand your explanation around Agile Coach, but when 90% of Agile followed is scrum (even Coaching Agile Team by Lyssa Adkins, mentions Agile Coach and not Scrum Master - till chapter 5), I think with requisite knowledge with various certifications + books + limited experience as dev team member can bring out the coach in me. Besides this, the term coach - actually looks more like a formal setting than SM role. Just my thoughts :). 

thanks anyways, since not many have replied to this thread, with lack of resources and experience for PSM2, I think it might remain a dream for me. That's why I was frantically seeking expert's help.

thanks again,

V.

10:07 am May 14, 2019

https://www.scrum.org/resources/8-stances-scrum-master

I totally understand your points, and career concerns, but this read maybe convinces you that

it's a better to be a good Scrum Master than an average Agile Coach.

Good luck!

08:39 am May 15, 2019

Thanks for the suggestion @Edina Kuki. I will definitely go through this white paper.

best,

V.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.