Skip to main content

Coaching Agile Team

Last post 09:49 am June 4, 2019 by Sander Dur
7 replies
01:36 pm May 18, 2019

Hello All,

I need some help/advice regarding coaching.Basically I wanted to know the following :

1. How do Experience Agile coach coaches teams or higher level management, is there some specific or systematic methods of doing this.Is there some book or video which can give information regarding this?
  2. Also how does Agile coach change or inject Agile mindset to individuals specifically the ones coming from a different framework?

Any help/advice will be highly appreciated!!

03:54 pm May 18, 2019

Hello!

1. I highly recommend the book "Coaching Agile Teams" from Lyssa Adkins.

Apart from that if you look for how to structure sessions themselves, search for "coaching models" on the internet and find info about GROW model for example.

2. i guess theres no standard answer on this. id start with learning how to "sell" agile in 1 day training, 30mins talk and 1 min elevator pitch. then apply these as needed. 

but the easiest would be - work somewhere where there are experienced coaches / scrum masters and learn.

05:01 pm May 18, 2019

Thanks Zoltan

08:27 am May 20, 2019

This of course is highly dependent on the context of both team and organization/management and even individuals.

Indeed Coaching Agile Teams is a good read, going into individual stuff I can recommend Co-Active Coaching by the Himsey-House couple and Philip Sandahl. If you want to unleash their collective knowledge and collaboration, take a look into Liberating Structures.

01:23 pm June 3, 2019

Hi, I'd like to jump in and ask a related question off the back of Zoltan's response. I want to introduce an agile training day for my clients where they learn hands on what scrum is and help them to understand the importance of their role as PO.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an agenda to achieve this?

06:40 pm June 3, 2019

Pre-work: Read the Scrum Guide. Point out that is not a very long time commitment to read the entire guide.

Morning:

Afternoon

• Empiricism
  • Writing Product Backlog Items 
    • Notice I didn't say User Stories as that may not be the best approach for every organization. Give them some examples of PBIs written in multiple formats pointing how the parts that aid in explaining the problem and how to know it is addressed.
  • Coaching on how to deal with outside forces applying pressure to "get things done faster".  Help them understand that their role is to get things done that provide the greatest value without sacrificing quality.  "Getting things done faster" often miss one or both of those attributes. 

I'm sure that others will have other suggestions but having only 1 day makes things a bit difficult for me to narrow down to the most important parts.

08:26 am June 4, 2019

That's really helpful. Thanks Daniel!

09:49 am June 4, 2019

Here's the agenda I usually use during training days, scaled to the collective level of the group and the specific training:

Intro 

Who am I

Who are you?

Expectations from the group and logistics

Excercise: constellations

History of Agile/Scrum

Agile Manifesto

Agile Principles

Scrum Framework

Events

Sprint explained

Sprint planning

Sprint review

Sprint retrospective

If desired, backlog refinement

Artifacts

Roles

Dev team

Scrum Master

PO

Management and stakeholders

Then I'll have the class work out a case and discuss this as a group

Scrum Values

DoD vs Acceptance Criteria

Backlog (in case of PO this takes more time)

Vision

Why

How

What

Strategy

Epic/feature/story

INVEST

Estimation with relative points

Scaling

Case #2

Any open questions/go through parking lot

As a group do 1 or 2 of the open exams on this site

Have a quick retrospective.

And then everybody's mind is full of information and they need to end. 

If you'd have a Scrum Master group, this would differ a bit of course. But the basics still count. Generally this is my agenda when the group has some experience. Than it's achievable in a day. If the group is new to Agile and Scrum, this can easily take a bit more time. Running a sprint simulation is helpful. I love to do Lego4Scrum simulations for an hour or 4. 

Hope this helps.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.