Skip to main content

How many participants failed PSM-III?

Last post 09:58 pm June 13, 2021 by Lars Devocht
14 replies
12:25 pm May 30, 2019

I am so curious on this, so why not just ask...

At the breakdown page, you can see that (up till now) 681 people have passed PSM-III.

But, how many attempts were made? I am really curious about the passing percentages (actually for all certifications, but this one in particular).

Is there anyone from scrum.org who is willing to share some lights on this?

07:47 am May 31, 2019

What raises your curiosity on this?

01:20 pm May 31, 2019

Well, multiple...

Since the count on the certification holders is so low, I am curious if it is just a very small portion of people trying, or if it is a small portion passing. Also, it would give some insights into how hard the examn really is. I am contemplating going for it myself, but there is the quite steep pricetag if I will not make it... so I am trying to get a more educated approach on whether to go for it or not. And ask the question more in the line of "what are the odds"...

06:39 pm May 31, 2019

And also... I am wondering how many non PST people have this level III? Because the only people I know, are PST as well ;)

07:44 pm May 31, 2019

I am wondering how many non PST people have this level III?

There are 270 PST and 681 PSMIII. Not every PST goes the PSMIII route so the answer is likely to be in excess of 411.

02:04 pm June 2, 2019

My scores, to at least give you some perspective:

1: 95%, 2: 97%, 3: 75%, 3 (2nd attempt): 89%.

My preparation was more extensive for later exams (read more books from scrum resources overview every attempt).

What makes it harder: open questions, more situational (arguably opinionated) questions. And the time constraint is severe due to the open questions. Most aren't one liners (i.m.o.). Whereas I required less than half the time in 1 and 2 even though my typing speed is fast.

07:57 pm June 3, 2019

Hi Xander,

We continually monitor the pass rates on an assessment basis as well as on a per question basis.  The pass rates of questions in particular help us determine if we have a poorly written question, a course that is representing something differently, or perhaps a lack of learning assets that cover the topic.  We also compare pass rates of Scrum.org students vs. non-students; as a generic pass rate might not lead us to the correct solution.  We then adjust accordingly. Publishing an overall pass rate can be misleading when you factor in the student vs. non-student variable, including the 14-day 2nd attempt policy for Scrum.org students. Since we never require that you take a course from Scrum.org we do our best to provide the necessary study materials through our Suggested Reading pages and the Learning Pathways. 

We have seen an increase in people taking PSM III who are not taking PSM III to earn their PST license, and we see people passing PSM III and doing well. If you score close to the level required for a PST you might even hear from us asking if you are interested in becoming a PST.

Regards,
-Rob
Scrum.Org

12:08 pm June 11, 2019

Hi Rob, thanks for the answer, and I do understand the position.

Am I correct in understanding that all PST have PSM-III, and therefore, most PSM-III holders are also PST?

01:18 pm June 11, 2019

@Xander you can find the full count of passed PSM III along with all other certifications as of June 1 here.  There are over 675 (as of today) people who have passed PSM III and under 270 PSTs.

07:57 am June 12, 2019

Cool! many Thanks Eric!

05:41 am June 13, 2019

Hey guys

Is it also possible to know the PST & PSM III  based on locations and geographicly.

01:22 pm June 13, 2019

@saleh, you can find the full list of PSTs and their locations here.  As for location of all PSM III, that we do not provide as we do not mandate people add their location when taking the assessment.  

03:18 pm June 13, 2019

Thanks God, I am not in that list! :D

10:11 am June 11, 2021

https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-certifications/count

There are only 22 seats left in the Thousand People Club

09:58 pm June 13, 2021

Dear Sander, I failed more than once on PSM-II and passed PSM-III on the first trial. Being a PST is no requirement. I’m not a Scrum Master either. From my viewpoint, it depends more on focus. I would love to be a Scrum Master one day, but I’m not at this moment. I read lots of books on Scrum, leadership, coaching,… But I took the assessment at a moment that I felt excellent. I even try to forget about the test, and a week or two later, at a random moment, I start the test when it jumps to my mind. I did the PSM-III during lunch break at work. My trick is to move fast at the right moment, so I don’t have the time to get nervous. That worked for me.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.