Skip to main content

Is the Product Owner managing a team acceptable?

Last post 03:31 pm May 31, 2019 by Chris Rook
6 replies
08:08 pm May 30, 2019

This is not mentioned in the Scrum Guide either way so wondering what the best practise answer is in the world of Scrum.

I am guessing the answer is no.

Grateful for thoughts of others on the subject.

Thanks.

08:37 pm May 30, 2019

Unsure if there is a "best practice" answer in regards to Scrum, as the Scrum Guide is quite clear on the subject:

• They are self-organizing. No one (not even the Scrum Master) tells the Development Team how to turn Product Backlog into Increments of potentially releasable functionality
  • The Development Team self-organizes to undertake the work in the Sprint Backlog
  • the Development Team should be able to explain to the Product Owner and Scrum Master how it intends to work as a self-organizing team
  • Every day, the Development Team should understand how it intends to work together as a self-organizing team

So in your opinion, can the above take place if the Development Team is "managed" by the PO?

09:58 pm May 30, 2019

Is the Product Owner managing a team acceptable?

It would indicate a lower level of aptitude within a self-organizing team. Would that be acceptable?

10:02 pm May 30, 2019

@Timothy's answer is from the Scrum Guide and focuses on the Development Team. But I think you may be referring to the Scrum Team as a whole.  There is nothing in the Scrum Guide that actually mentions management at all.  I believe that is intentional because Scrum is built on self-organization, self-directed teams (entire teams not just Development).  If someone "manages" that implies control which is against the servant-leader model of agile.

My current company has manager roles for the individuals. They help in career development and those obligatory "annual reviews".  But they play no role in how the individuals participate in the the teams, how the teams work or even what the individuals do with in the teams. 

No one manages a team in Scrum or agile. They manage themselves. 

07:26 am May 31, 2019

Hi Chris, 

Is that a real case? Can you give some examples of how the Product Owner you are referring to manages the Scrum Team or Development Team? 

07:43 am May 31, 2019

No one manages a team in Scrum or agile. They manage themselves. 

Correct, usually in the terms of organizing. There are a couple of levels to this; self-organizing, self-managing and self-directing. Whilst asuming self-organization needs no explanation, the other side of the spectrum, directing, encompasses the team having their own budget, doing their personal development, providing their own salary raises, training, direction for the product at hand, etc. 

Best practices in Scrum don't really exist, I guess. Best practices is like: eating soup with a spoon is best practice. Using a hammer for slamming in nails is a best practice. But due to the complex environments with Scrum, there are no best practices. Emergent practices, yes. My apologies for being the "know-it-all", just venting my vision on best practices:D

03:31 pm May 31, 2019

Thanks guys. I agree with the above comments, in the scripture of the Scrum Guide the PO is supposed to guide and provide clarity to the Dev Team on PBIs, and probably be at a distance (so to speak) from the Dev Team during the Sprint.

Managing does seem to go against being self-organising so.

Think I have just over thought this one.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.