Skip to main content

Question for Mods / Scrum.org employees: Assessments in different languages

Last post 07:14 pm August 26, 2019 by Stephen Sykes
4 replies
10:32 am August 26, 2019

Hi everyone,

Please move to appropriate channel, if this isn't the right place to discuss this.

Would it be possible to explain why the Scrum Guide has been translated in over 30 languages but all the assessments are still only in English? As a native English speaker myself this gives me a distinct advantage over my non native speaking colleagues.

This seems to be, with all due respect a little bit unjust.

Kind regards,

Stephen

01:01 pm August 26, 2019

Hi Stephen, many people use the Google Translate Plugin to take the assessment in their native language. Anyone can learn more here about how.  The test is not translated due to the amount of question refinement we do to ensure a the integrity of the assessment process. 

03:02 pm August 26, 2019

Hi Eric, 

thanks for the quick response.

If you don't mind me pushing back a little on this. There are people I know who are uncomfortable taking more assessments because of the language issue.  This may be a super small sample size, but I suspect that although anecdotal, it is probably indicative. (As an aside, a study on this would be interesting)

The above notwithstanding, The Scrum Guide was translated in 30 different languages. Surely if Scrum.org has taken the time to refine the Scrum Guide itself in those languages, it would be no more difficult to do so with the questions?

I say this as a legitimate concern, and not as a complaint, as I honestly believe this is an impediment to prospective members.

Kind regards, 

Stephen

03:31 pm August 26, 2019

Thank you @stephen. Have they tried the Google plugin?  It works very well and is quite effective. It isn't just about the time to translate the assessments 1 time, we update questions quite often. Changing them, adding new questions and adjusting language based on empirical data.  We look at often failed questions and adjust them for example and much more. So it is about ongoing changes quite often, protecting the integrity of the test and ensuring that they are of the highest quality. 

It is something that always are watching and looking to see if changes are required and what we have seen so far is that the Google and other translation plugins have come so far that they actually offer a better solution than we could  with translations.

07:14 pm August 26, 2019

Hi Erik, 

Once again thank you for your response. I will suggest to them to use the google translate plugin, but truthfully I don't think it will convince them. I used to teach English as a foreign language, and I know the limitations of these translators, although I take your point that they have improved.

I suppose from my point of view, whilst I totally understand that the focus should remain on protecting the integrity of the test, I have the feeling there is an opportunity cost here and I wonder how many people we are putting off, by limiting assessments to one language.

That said, thank you for taking the time to explain your reasoning.

Wishing you a productive and stress free week.

Kind regards, 

Stephen

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.