Skip to main content

Which of the following is not a prioritisation technique?

Last post 07:48 pm November 28, 2023 by Mark Smith
7 replies
12:47 pm November 27, 2019

I found this question, maybe you can help me to find correct answer and explanation:

Which of the following is not a prioritisation technique?

1. Kano analysis
  2. Product Backlog ordering
  3. Planning Poker
  4. User Story Mapping

Thanks

Dejan

12:57 pm November 27, 2019

Any one of these, or a combination of them, may be used to help establish priorities.

01:06 pm November 27, 2019

I agree with Ian that any of the techniques are can be used to establish priorities. 

If I had to pick an answer it would be 'planning poker' since typically this exercise is used to establish estimates of Product Backlog Items.

This could be a precursor to something like Kano analysis or Product Backlog ordering which are more directly used to prioritize/order work. 

01:13 pm November 27, 2019

Where did you come across this question Dejan?:) I'd argue that the Kano, US Mapping and Product Backlog ordering are mostly used by the Product Owner (not saying the Dev Team wouldn't use them, but just my thought) and the planning poker mostly by the Dev Team. But that's my 2 cents. In that regard, the PO is responsible for ordering, hence Planning Poker has less to do with ordering as well as provoking a discussion.

01:26 pm November 27, 2019

Sander Dur

I found it here https://www.volkerdon.com/ as someone who passed exam recommended.

I agree with Tony Divel,

If I had to pick an answer it would be 'planning poker' since typically this exercise is used to establish estimates of Product Backlog Items.

02:29 pm November 27, 2019

Planning poker really is just for estimating the size or effort of an item. That doesn't equal priority. I suppose someone out there could use it for prioritization but that would be using the tool in a vastly different way than was intended. 

06:37 pm November 27, 2023

the best answer is number 3 (planning poker) because  is used for estimation of user stories not for others mentioned for prioritisation technique. 

09:25 am November 28, 2023

Your reasoning is valid, and it highlights an important distinction. While "Planning Poker" is a valuable Agile technique for estimating the effort or complexity of tasks, it is not primarily a method for directly establishing priorities or ordering tasks based on their importance or value.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.