Skip to main content

DevOps will kill Scrum

Last post 09:34 pm January 21, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
6 replies
10:28 pm January 19, 2020

Guys and girls, what do you think about this theory? I am not very close to DevOps but in my company we are planning to transform our development to DevOps method. And some people told me that after DevOps implementation it is impossible to work in Scrum. 

11:07 pm January 19, 2020

I don't agree with the idea that "DevOps will kill Scrum" (or "DevOps will kill agile") at all.

DevOps is much more of a culture than a method. DevOps is about moving IT operations into the software development life cycle in order to be able to deploy faster, improve the quality of deployments, and improve the time to recover after a failure.

This isn't that different from the underpinnings of the Manifesto for Agile Software Development. The principles of Agile Software Development include deliver working software frequently, continuous attention to technical excellence (which is connected to quality), and respond to changes.

DevOps is, in my opinion, an evolution of Agile Software Development. A number of developments in IT operations made it easier for development and operations to work together. Agile brought together users, the business, and developers, DevOps just adds IT operations to the mix to increase collaboration.

06:26 am January 20, 2020

Agree with Thomas here...

DevOps is about how you structure IT and responsibilities. Agile / Scrum goes hand in hand with this.

You can unleash the full power of DevOps by doing it in a Scrum way, how could you even bash DevOps into oldschool project mangement anyway ;) DevOps needs Agile, it doesn't kill it

11:31 am January 20, 2020

And some people told me that after DevOps implementation it is impossible to work in Scrum. 

Did you ask them what have they learned, and why it was impossible to apply those learnings within the Scrum Framework?

02:53 pm January 20, 2020

Check out the jointly written white paper by Scrum.org and the head of the DevOps Institute.  https://www.scrum.org/resources/convergence-scrum-and-devops

08:27 am January 21, 2020

Check out the jointly written white paper by Scrum.org and the head of the DevOps Institute.  https://www.scrum.org/resources/convergence-scrum-and-devops

Incredibly useful! 

09:34 pm January 21, 2020

The core of agile and Scrum is a self-organized, self-managed team with the skills to do the work of producing a valuable increment of product and delivering to the customer.  So how would DevOps kill that?  In my opinion it strengthens that model. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.