Skip to main content

Tool for setting personal goals in one-on-one coaching session

Last post 05:39 am February 18, 2020 by Sherwin Soriano
6 replies
08:02 am February 7, 2020

Hey everyone,

I'm coaching one of my colleagues on growing in her current role als a project manager, but she wishes to grow towards scrum master (since she strongly believes in the agile approach). In our first sessions I would like us to set some personal goals for the coming year or so. I use Liberating structures (or take inspiration from it to create my own tool) a lot for these kinds of sessions, but I was wondering if any of you know any good tools/approaches/excercises/structures for this?

Thank you!

02:57 pm February 7, 2020

Read books, talk to people, apply what you learn, inspect & adapt:)

08:12 pm February 7, 2020

Thank you Sander for your very helpful and knowledgeable reply. 

And while i will take your, again very helpful, advice at heart, would you like to share some of your own experiences, if you have any?

you know...as us scrum masters like to share and learn from each other.

01:22 pm February 11, 2020

she wishes to grow towards scrum master (since she strongly believes in the agile approach). In our first sessions I would like us to set some personal goals for the coming year or so.

How well does she understood the gap between the Scrum Master role and that of a Project Manager? What sort of gap analysis has she carried out, so she might then bridge it?

What similarities are there, or might there be, between these disciplines? Within her current role, for example, what opportunities for servant leadership could she be in a position to demonstrate?

02:53 pm February 12, 2020

if you have any?

Books that helped me greatly:

- Scrum: A Travel Guide

- Scrum Mastery

- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team

- Co-Active Coaching

- Mastering Professional Scrum

- Liberating Structures (Troika Consulting might be a good one for having your colleagues think about own challenges)

- Our Iceberg Is Melting

- Coaching Agile Teams

- Agile Retrospectives

- Atomic Habbits

A million more

All the blogs mentioned in the Scrum Master Learning Path over here

Attending for instance the Liberating Structures workshops via Meetup.com.

But my own personal best learning master is just to do it and inspect what happens, ask feedback and adapt based on this (and theoretical knowledge based on the books etc).

08:34 am February 14, 2020

@ ian

@sander

Thank you, this will help me moving forward! I've come up with a little approach of myself for this session and let's see how it goes.

05:39 am February 18, 2020

Agree on what Ian Mitchell said. She needs to know the difference and similarities between SM and PM. Especially the traditional project managers that are drawn to authoritative powers to complete projects.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.