Skip to main content

How to fit UI restyling in user stories/PBI

Last post 07:58 pm March 5, 2020 by Victor Santillana Ortega
5 replies
03:33 pm March 2, 2020

Hi all, 

I have a doubt and I need your wisdom. 

I am currently working in a product that has a management console. For technical reasons (and before I was on it) some user processes were split in different UI within the console and now should be merged into one area inside the console. 

Example: In this management console you can create roles and users and finally assign them. Right now the process would be the following one

- You go to settings/roles area  >>> create one

- You go to settings/users area >>> create one

- You go to settings/user management area >>> assign the user to a role

This 3 actions have different UI and you access them independently.

After hiring a UX/UI team they have given us a common UX  called Access management where we can performed the 3 actions in the same place. 

I started thinking about how to pass the team the user stories to work on but I am struggling finding the business value. 

Does it make sense that these are user stories? In case that no, what element should be?

Thanks!

08:17 pm March 2, 2020

Hi Victor,

here Alex, Professional Scrum Trainer from Barcelona. Glad to help.

What do you mean by saying "user processes where split in different UI"? Do you mean you had three views to manage roles, users and roles assignments? 

What do you mean with struggle to find the business value? Isn't it valuable to simplify the UI for this process from the user perspective? I assume by unifying the UI of those three actions, they save time (user outcome) and avoid mistakes (business impact).

Product Backlog Items (PBI) can be expressed as User Stories or any other format. User Stories help in empathising with the user to better  undestand the user outcome and the business impact. If you know well what is the benefit of revamping the user interface related to any other PBI waiting on the backlog, you may skip this format and express it simply as "Unify Access Management UI".

Does this help?

08:27 pm March 2, 2020

I started thinking about how to pass the team the user stories to work on but I am struggling finding the business value. 

As a Product Owner, you will doubtlessly encounter opinions, advice and requests from a variety of colleagues, customers and users. As the person responsible for maximizing the value, you will inevitably have to say no to some of them at some point.

Do you believe this investment is a valuable use of the Development Team's time? If the answer is yes, then you should communicate that need to the Development Team. If you can't do that through a user story format, then there are other ways to do so (including a simple text description of what you want and a link to new designs). There is no requirement in Scrum to express Product Backlog Items as user stories.

08:30 pm March 2, 2020

I'd also like to approach this question from a different angle.

After hiring a UX/UI team they have given us a common UX  called Access management where we can performed the 3 actions in the same place. 

Is it possible that by having a separate team responsible for UX, that you and the Development Team are too far removed from the reasons for the UX/UI change, that you cannot see the business value?

Such hand-offs between teams can cause a lack of context, drastically reduce collaboration, and cause more waste in terms of time spent regaining context, or badly implemented solutions.

08:12 pm March 3, 2020

I started thinking about how to pass the team the user stories to work on but I am struggling finding the business value. 

It's unlikely you'll find it if you allow yourself to be influenced by someone's UX solution. Where should you really look?

11:31 am March 5, 2020

Hi all, 

First of all thanks for all your comments, they have been really helpful. Now I have stronger arguments to face the team.

Ian I dunnot really get your question. UX is not influencing me. I requested the ux change knowing it would be good for the product, but I was not sure how to face the team. 

Thanks!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.