Skip to main content

PSM I or PSM II?

Last post 10:22 am May 13, 2020 by Gongyuan Chen
4 replies
09:18 am May 10, 2020

Hello everyone!

I have successfully passed and got certified for PSPO I recently.

My current role now is Scrum Master and I would like to understand what I should take now PSM I or PSM II? 

And what are the difficulties and tips?

Let me mention that I`m not a beginner in Scrum so maybe PSM II would bring more value for me?

How should I choose?

Thanks in advance!

08:53 pm May 10, 2020

As you already have PSPO I, the PSM II seems to fit better to your resume. But, don't take my word and opinion on that - make your own.

Everyone has its own journey, either it is a path to just collect badges or to gather more knowledge and deeper understanding (and treat gaining badges as a bonus along the way). The question is which one you are now? How do you imagine your path? What is your vision for you? What goals may support that vision? What actions may you take to achieve those goals?

Even if you choose to pursue now for PSM II, if you take learning seriously, then more likely you will also be prepared to take PSM I (if you are not already prepared, as you have PSPO I) - If you also take PSM I, will it be a bad thing to assess our knowledge and understanding along the way, even foundations that we suppose to know well?

I know that there is also a factor in the amount of money to spend, so it may influence your decision about when and what assessment to take (if any), but it is rather good to check our progress to some kind of "baseline".

Best of luck on your journey! :) 

07:32 am May 11, 2020

PSM II Specifically focuses on Scrum Mastery, not on the Scrum Framework itself! If you think you have strong foundations, I suggest you go through the PSM II workshop! Again that's my view!

08:28 am May 11, 2020

I guess it also depends a bit on your budget. I mean, if you have the means I'd say take 'em both. But as you clearly demonstrated you understand the basics of the framework, you probably can skip on PSM I. PSM II is a fundamentaly deeper dive into the matter and steers away from hardcore theory and will be more into practical stuff. 

10:22 am May 13, 2020

“PSM II Specifically focuses on Scrum Mastery, not on the Scrum Framework itself!”

——I agree

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.