Skip to main content

Work items

Last post 01:21 pm June 25, 2022 by Chuck Suscheck
5 replies
03:32 pm June 24, 2022

Hi, I have searched about this topic:

Work item types help your team to plan and track progress of software projects.

You can view the scope and progress of work by defining features and mapping user stories to features.

A work item is a database record that contains the definition, assignment, priority, and state of work

So, what is the answer to this question?

The _____ work item is used to track specific function of applications or sets of work in an Agile process

Bugs

Issues

Tasks

Features

I think it should be one of the last two, can you help me please?

05:34 pm June 24, 2022

You'd have to ask the team. It's up to them to define their own workflow and policies. Scrum is minimally prescriptive.

06:34 pm June 24, 2022

Hey Jhon!

I'm curious, where did you run into this question?

You won't see anything this fine-grained in the Scrum Guide, so the Scrum perspective might not get you the answer you need.

Was it another Agile methodology? 

07:53 pm June 24, 2022

I think is agile

08:38 pm June 24, 2022

Where is the source for this question?  As @Darcy states, this is pretty specific and isn't mentioned at all in the Scrum Guide.  

And if I'm being honest, I don't see it as being very agile.  It sounds pretty prescriptive with an specific intention of tracking progress towards a goal.  That sounds more task level command/control from the days of project management instead of the iterative delivery of value that is emphasized in agile delivery practices. 

01:21 pm June 25, 2022

I also find this an odd agile question - and a poorly worded one too.  If I saw this on a test I'd answer "task" because of the "sets of work" .  But then again "function of the application" could point to "features".  See, a conflicting question with compound meaning.

If you can post the link where you originally saw this, it'd give us insight as to why such a poor question was posed.

These are structures that can be adopted by a team but often lead to poor behavior.  If you take this test, let us know what the answer was.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.