Skip to main content

Percentage of hours of Scrum/PM X hours of Dev

Last post 02:34 pm July 8, 2022 by Chuck Suscheck
2 replies
12:04 am July 7, 2022

Good morning community

I am the product owner of 2 different projects with 2 different contractors and I am trying to find some benchmarking for the recommended ratio between PM/Scrum hours versus Dev hours. I have found some forums online mentioning the recommendation would be a ratio of 9% to 15% in PM/Scrum hours in relation to the total amount oh hours for the project and it would vary according the size of the team. I just wanted to find a more reliable source for this information. Anyone would know where I can find it?

Cheers

Dan

11:09 pm July 7, 2022

I suspect that there may be deeper issues with reliability in general, and that they will continue for as long as you see yourself as owning projects. A Product Owner is accountable for products, the value of which ought to be optimized  Sprint by Sprint. That's the benchmark. Never mind how a self-organizing team manages its time. The empirical evidence of delivery will give you all the reliability you seek.

02:34 pm July 8, 2022

PM = project management?  

I'd be suprised if there is something that provides a ratio since the ration would be quite predictive.  PMI may have some information since they focus on project management.  It would help to know what you expect to do with the ratio.  

I suggest looking at past work you've done or start capturing data and use that to help forecast.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.