Skip to main content

Can I enter in scrum in mid career

Last post 08:28 am March 6, 2023 by Joseph Mack
5 replies
07:35 am February 11, 2023

Hello everyone,

I have all over 15 years’ experience in operations, including 13 years in healthcare operation. Currently I am working as "SR. QA analyst - Care management". I want to proceed my career to scrum. I know at first, I should get scrum master certification. My question is shall I shift my career to scrum now? as I have already spent half of my career.

Please advise.

12:07 pm February 11, 2023

I won't advise, but I will share my story.

I have been in technology related positions for the past few decades. I went to school for programming, and over the first 16 years or so spent time in testing, development, project management, product/service ownership, and leadership. After 5 years in leadership positions, about 17 years into my career I pivoted to pursue my passion and started my journey as a Scrum Master. I am 5 years into that Scrum Master journey and I love it.

My first exposure to Scrum was when I was managing a PMO and many of the Project Managers on my team wanted to take Scrum training as they we were being asked to support teams who were leveraging Scrum. I joined in on this training, starting first with an Agile Project Management class, followed by Certified Scrum Master. I was hooked. I started spending time with Scrum teams and Scrum Masters to learn from them. I went on to apply to a Scrum Master position, started working with product teams and was introduced to Scrum.org through a wonderful PST who was supporting us as an Agile Coach. I have continued my learning journey through Scrum.org learning paths. 

Both learning and experience are critical to this career journey. The learning never stops, which is something I love about it. Scrum.org is an amazing place to start that journey. The learning paths and focus on Professional Scrum is unmatched. Certification is a way of testing your knowledge as you learn and grow. Many employers look for certification to signal that you have some foundational knowledge. That said, you don't need to be certified to start building experience. 

There is a great community here at Scrum.org to help you on your journey, should you choose to embark on it. 

01:00 pm February 11, 2023

I want to proceed my career to scrum. I know at first, I should get scrum master certification.

I don't think it is: the first thing to do is to examine your reasons and motivation. What is it about Scrum and the accountability of being a Scrum Master that appeals to you?

12:23 am February 23, 2023

I would say, you can always move to Scrum Master role if you like the role mentoring the team members and educate about the Scrum practices.

12:58 pm March 2, 2023

It can and is being done by many people, but changing career paths is never easy. Becoming a Scrum Master is no exception.

I am frequently asked about this so have assembled some answers and supporting information here:

How Can I Get My First Job As A Scrum Master? – Questions (this includes a story from Amba, one of my students who made the switch succesfully.

How Can I Get My First Job As A Scrum Master? – Tips (some tips to help you make the change)

Should I Become A Scrum Master? (the pro's and con's of making the switch)

I hope it will help.

08:28 am March 6, 2023

yes you can enter in Scrum in the mid career.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.