Skip to main content

First sprint vs first sprint planning

Last post 06:14 pm March 10, 2017 by Stefan Mieth
2 replies
07:08 pm March 9, 2017

I was sure that I know the answer but when I think more about it I have some doubts so I want to ask.

What happens first ? First sprint planning or first sprint ? Let us say that we have monday. Do we start first sprint from monday and do the sprint planning as a first activity or maybe we plan the sprint planning for monday and start first sprint the next day ?

07:00 am March 10, 2017

Hello Dawid,

the planning, review, retrospective and daily scrum are all part of the sprits and their duration is included in its time-box. Actually the first sprint and the first sprint planning are happening at the same time.

Greetings,

Peter

02:02 pm March 10, 2017

Hi Dawid,

There is no sprint Zero - no sprint before your first sprint, the first Sprint follows the same "rules" as every other sprint. (e.g. you should focus on delivering a increment with at least one piece of functionality ...)

As the sprint time box includes "everything" also the sprint planning is included, an usually one of the first things you do every sprint.

Saying you start using scrum. You want to start it on this given Monday. Your sprint planning for sprint 1 could be at 9am on this Monday morning. The sprint planning is within the borders of your time box of your first sprint. Your Sprint starts on Monday morning.

Imagine, having the Sprint planning on Monday, but stating your sprint starts on Tuesday would set your sprint planning outside the time box of your sprint. And - in case you would repeat this - would keep the sprint planning in a time frame between two sprints. (There is nothing between two sprints, a sprint immediately follows the previous one) - Don´t do this ;)

See also "Scrum guide"

p.8 "Sprints contain and consist of the Sprint Planning, Daily Scrums, the development work, the Sprint Review, and the Sprint Retrospective."

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.