Skip to main content

PSPO I passed (1st attempt, 92%)

Last post 09:07 pm November 24, 2019 by Ashwin Kumar Madan Lunkad
6 replies
05:16 pm March 10, 2017

Hi everybody,

after passing PSM I, I decidet to focus on PSPO I and I just passed my test. These have been my study methods:

• Reading again Scrum Guide (never is enough)
  • Test again Open Assesments until you get 100% always (obviously, more focus in PO one)
  • Read a couple of times "The Profesional Scrum Product Owner, Guide to Pass PSPO1" by Mohammed Musthafa (a good resume of different books concepts. Cool to read, but not a must)
  • Read again "Scrum a Pocket Guide by Gunther Verheyen" (a must, focusing in PO advice, but understanding how all the things interacts and different experiences, understanding the whole)
  • Following the advice of Charles Bradley in his study tips and his unvaluable article The New New Product Owner (a real must, with Verheyen & Schwaber articles linked inside)
  • Read a couple of times EBMgt guide (you have to)
  • Practice again Mikhail Lapshin quiz to review Scrum general concepts
  • Read all post about related issues (PO, value, meassurement, etc) that there are in this forum

I have to say that even as a lot of knowledge is the same needed as in PSM assessment, you need to have your mind more business like. Seem obvious, but if you usually do a more facilitator/coach role, it's perhaps a challenging test (but a fantastic oportunity to learn a lot!).

If you like to pass the test, my recomendations is learn a lot abaut value and all kind of Product Backlog management. Learn about any doubts that you can find from experts & community discussions.

Once again, I only have good words to this community, and I want to thank you all the help.

Now, to keep practicing and learning!

Scrum on!

Carlos

05:28 pm March 10, 2017

Congratulations!  It's interesting to hear you say you felt the PSPO put a greater emphasis on facilitating and coaching than the PSM did.  I was under the impression that coaching and facilitation were specifically considered tasks for the Scrum Master.

Out of curiosity, did you notice any focus on Nexus?  I felt like the PSM and PSD both benefitted somewhat from understanding how multiple scrum teams can come together effectively, but I haven't attempted the PSPO so I'm not sure if that holds true.

06:49 pm March 10, 2017

Hey Jason....I see you have attempted PSD. I am interested in writing this out. Can you share the readings and procedures you followed to excel in the exam?

Thanks Again.

04:35 am March 11, 2017

Manikanth, you might be better off making a separate post so you can get input from others as well.  I'd like to avoid detracting from Carlos's post by going off topic.

To answer your question quickly, a lot of the prep for the PSM II exam carried over to the PSD.  I practiced the Scrum, Nexus and Developer open exams until I could consistently ace all three.  As a "traditional" software developer, my biggest roadblock was needing to learn testing concepts, which I had limited prior exposure to.

Actually, I'd be curious to know if the PSPO does something like that as well.  Are there multiple "specializations" of Product Owners like there are with Developers, or is it closer to a Scrum Master with a single dedicated role?  I'd expect the latter, but I'd be interested in confirming that.

09:18 am March 14, 2017

Hi Jason, sorry for the missunderstanding, I mean that if you are a more coaching oriented person, perhaps all the PO subjects are a challenge for you. You have to learn a lot about teams too, but if you are a Scrum Master already, I have no to find more subjects than the related ones.

About Nexus, I agree with the benefit for knowing about in the PSPO exam. There are areas in with you have to be aware about a more wided range of scope than a simple Scrum team.

By the way, thanks for the congratulations!

Carlos

07:41 pm July 13, 2018

Hi Carlos, Congratulations! Thanks for your posting your suggestions. They were spot on and very helpful! After a few months of focused preparation, I passed the PSPO I with 97.5% (78 out of 80 points). 

09:05 pm November 24, 2019

I successfully passed PSPO 1 Exam scoring 93.8% today. Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their experiences which did provide me significant guidance.

I have worked on Scrum Projects for several years. However, spent a few days preparing using below steps.

Good luck.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.