Skip to main content

A tool for managing product backlog.

Last post 08:59 am January 3, 2024 by Steven Deneir
1 reply
01:08 pm December 27, 2023

Hello everybody.

I am looking for a tool to manage the product backlog. Two key factors are important for me. 1. Create a chart to show dependencies between tasks. 2. Show the priorities of different user stories.

Would you please share your experience using these types of tools? 

Thank you for your time.

08:59 am January 3, 2024

A Product Backlog brings transparency on a future state of the product. Therefor I do not expect to see tasks in a Product Backlog - this is an alarm bel for me.

Showing priorities can be done in different ways. The easiest one I use with most of my teams is the item that is on top of the Product Backlog is the most important one. Followed by the second in order, etc. So a hard-ranked list.

When it comes to tools, there are 2 criteria for me that are important:

1/ the tool needs to raise transparency. Meaning it should help all stakeholders to understand the Product Backlog.
2/ the tool needs to support collaboration. Meaning multiple people can actively work together on it. The tool should support this and not hinder this.

A flat list in a tool such as Jira or similar does not bring transparency. The view is too limited. Too many clicks are needed to find the information, etc. It also does not allow collaboration. If one team member does not refresh his/her screen after another one made some updates, there is certainly a loss of information. So take care.

The tool I prefer is a digital whiteboard such as Miro or Mural. These support transparency through ease of visualisation (zooming in and out for example). These also support collaboration. You can work with th entire team and stakeholders at the same moment on the Product Backlog and everyone will see at once what is happening.
Order can be shown using top-to-bottom approaches, using color codes, using icons, using numbers, ... whatever the team feels is most helpful to them.
Dependencies can be shown using arrows, color codes, sequencing, etc. again whatever the team feels is most helpful to them.

Which brings me to a last criteria: the tool is expected to support the team. They have their needs. These needs will change over time (typically rather sooner than later). The tool nees to support them and the fact of changing needs.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to shoot more questions!

PS You might be interested in my blog posts about the fundamentals of the Scrum framework. If so, please check out this page: https://boostyourscrum.com/professional-scrum-foundations-series/

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.