Functional Scrum Team in context of Release

Last post 05:27 pm December 2, 2019
by Timothy Baffa
8 replies
Author

What do you think if properly functioning Scrum Team will have at least one Release Sprint and may well have several?

12:50 pm November 29, 2019

Shouldn’t a team plan to release something at least once every Sprint?

01:12 pm November 29, 2019

Would you say they are properly function if they would incorporate Release Sprints?

01:19 pm November 29, 2019

Shouldn’t a team plan to release something at least once every Sprint?

Yes. But I am not sure what " incorporate Release Sprints", exactly mean. What is your though on this.

01:20 pm November 29, 2019

Would you say they are properly function if they would incorporate Release Sprints?

yes I would, what about you?

01:24 pm November 29, 2019

I would say that a team that is using "Release Sprints" isn't using Scrum - every Sprint results in a potentially releasable Increment. Even in scaled frameworks, such as Nexus and LeSS - each Sprint results in a potentially releasable Increment that is fully integrated across the teams.

However, there may be valid reasons to have something like a "Release Sprint" or a Sprint designed to support hardening and release. Other reasons for having one may be indicative of problems in the team or organization. If a team proposed having a "Release Sprint", I'd want to know exactly what the purpose of such a Sprint would be and why they feel it is necessary.

01:43 pm November 29, 2019

The thing I'm trying to make here is that at the end of every Sprint, there should be a potentially releaseable Increment. Now let's say you plan to wait for Release Sprint to actually release. This may impact the ability to have something releasable every Sprint.  

10:28 pm December 1, 2019

What is the impact on time to market of having a separate release sprint?

Would you make empirical decisions sooner if you can release within a shorter amount of time? If not, why not?

05:27 pm December 2, 2019

What do you think if properly functioning Scrum Team will have at least one Release Sprint and may well have several?

I would say that such a team is certainly not properly functioning in Scrum.

What organizational constraints exist that prevent a Scrum Team from being able to release at the end of every sprint, and thereby violate a basic tenet of Scrum?   

What can be done to remove or mitigate such constraints so that such a team can include release-related activities as part of their DoD?