Immersion Programs Overview
Apply your learning and create positive change in your environment immediately
A New Learning Experience from Scrum.org
All Scrum.org courses are centered around valuable learning outcomes, achieved through experiential learning within a classroom environment. They are most often delivered as intense 2-day experiences.
Immersion Programs are an alternative format that extends the learning experience beyond the classroom by allowing students to apply what they have learned to their real-world settings. This format is enhanced by incorporating retrospectives for improvement, making the learning experience highly effective and practical.
What is an Immersion Program?
An Immersion Program is a method of learning where students actively apply their knowledge in real-world contexts during the program over an extended period of time.
Benefits of an Immersion Program
- Students gain practical experience by applying their learning to their real-world context
- Students can affect a positive change in their environments immediately
- Real-world application of learning increases the engagement, motivation, and personal investment of students, leading to more effective learning
- Experiential classroom learning provides students with valuable practice in a safe environment before experimenting in their real-world context
- Opportunities for students to collaborate and create a dynamic learning environment that exposes students to a variety of ideas and ways of thinking, deepening their understanding of the topics discussed in class
- Retrospectives allow students to reflect on their learning with each other and the Professional Scrum Trainer to make improvements and gain deeper insights
What Do You Get With an Immersion Program?
- Eight* half-day interactive group class sessions guided by a Professional Scrum Trainer (PST)
- Opportunity to attempt a Professional Scrum assessment
- Assignments to apply learnings in your real working environment with inspection and adaptation together with your peers and your Professional Scrum Trainer
*The number of sessions, schedule, and cadence can vary, however, the course content does not.
Who Is an Immersion Program For?
The application of learnings during an Immersion Program is core to the concept. Participants should have the opportunity to work with a real team on a real product during participation in the program. If you do not have this opportunity while participating in the program, you can either find a partner to pair with, or you should consider attending a traditional class.
Immersion Programs are an extension to our existing course offerings, not a replacement. We believe that learners have preferences and unique situations, to which we intend to offer greater variety in course delivery methods to meet these needs. The below characteristics of learners are generalized and intended to help guide you towards the learning method you think might suit you best.
Learners who register for an Immersion Program:
- Are committed to applying their learning and are willing to conduct small experiments at work throughout the learning experience.
- Find it easier to fit a half-day classroom session once a week into their schedule and independently focus on intersession assignments.
- Learn best by doing.
- Prefer to gain knowledge, practice in a safe environment, then apply.
- Want to learn enough to try something quickly, then inspect and adapt to improve and grow.
Learners who register for a traditional Scrum.org course:
- Are committed to taking ownership of their learning experience which is dependent on full and active participation over a short period of time.
- Find it easier to fully focus on the class and learning for two consecutive days.
- Prefer to learn as much as possible in a condensed time-frame.
- Learn best through discussions and conversations with their peers and instructor.
- Want to gain a broad understanding of the subject and use it as a foundation for further independent learning.
Visit the Product Owner Immersion Program page to view an example agenda.
Immersion Programs are available for each course Scrum.org offers. Contact us to request an Immersion Program for your organization.