Professional Scrum Master™ I
Prove Your Scrum Knowledge and Get Certified
The Professional Scrum MasterTM level I (PSM I) assessment is available to anyone who wishes to validate his or her depth of knowledge of the Scrum framework and its application. Those who pass the assessment will receive the industry recognized PSM I Certification to demonstrate their fundamental level of Scrum mastery.
Taking a course is not required and if you feel that you already possess a high level of Scrum knowledge, understanding of the Scrum Guide and how to apply Scrum within Scrum Teams, you have the option to take the PSM I assessment directly. However, there are courses available to help you prepare for the assessment and gain a stronger understanding of Scrum. Depending on your role, either the 2-day Professional Scrum Foundations or Professional Scrum Master course is highly recommended.
Prepare for the Assessment
The assessment is difficult; preparation is required to achieve a passing score. Reading the Scrum Guide and taking the Open Assessments alone isn't typically enough preparation and we recommend reviewing the content below:
- The assessment covers topics from multiple Focus Areas defined by the Professional Scrum Competencies.
- Many questions ask you to think about or interpret the meaning from the Scrum Guide and how you would apply Scrum within a Scrum Team.
- The PSM I Suggested Reading lists the Focus Areas from which questions may be selected during the assessment.
- The Scrum Master Learning Path contains many additional resources to help you prepare to take the PSM I Assessment.
All of our assessments are in English, many test takers successfully use the Google Translate Plugin to take the assessment. Here is a support article to help you.
Accommodations for Physical or Intellectual Disabilities
We take these considerations very seriously, and examine each case individually. Please contact email@example.com regarding your circumstances and we can advise you on next steps.
To protect the integrity of the certification process, Scrum.org does not share information about the specific questions that were answered correctly or incorrectly. Learn More
The cost of PSM I is $150 USD. Assessment passwords are valid for one attempt, do not expire and remain valid until used. See below for more details.
Professional Scrum Master™ I Details
- Fee: $150 USD per attempt
- Passing score: 85%
- Time limit: 60 minutes
- Number of Questions: 80
- Format: Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer and True/False
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Language: English only
- Scrum Resources
- Required course: None
- Recommended courses: Professional Scrum Foundations or Professional Scrum Master
- PSM Subject Areas
- Practice Assessment: Scrum Open
- Ways to Learn More to help you prepare
- Passwords have no expiration date, but are valid for one attempt only
When you purchase a password, it is set up in our system and emailed to you within one business day. All Students in a PSM or APS course are emailed a password upon completion of the course (typically within 3-5 business days).**
If you pass the PSM I assessment you will receive the industry-recognized "PSM I" certification, along with a PSM I logo that you can use to identify your achievement. In addition, your name will be posted publicly for colleagues, managers, and potential employers to see.
Unlike other Scrum certifications that require only class attendance, Scrum.org certification requires a minimum score on an online assessment. Attending a course is neither required nor sufficient for certification. This gives Scrum.org certification teeth and ensures that it has true value in the marketplace.